Pre-Conference Workshops: April 9, 2018
8:00 am - 8:30 am Check in for workshop attendees and morning networking
WORKSHOP A8:30 am - 10:30 am WORKSHOP A: Building a Culture of Operational Excellence Paul Fjelsta, President & Founder,accomplir Inc.
- Getting better at getting better: What does a culture of operational discipline really mean?
- What is the role of culture in achieving operational excellence?
- What are the core values, behaviors, etc.necessary to achieve operational excellence?
- How can leaders create this culture within their organization?
- How decisions of “who does what where” affect your ability to achieve operational excellence
- A different way of looking at the business architectures that underpin how you organize the business, manage process, conduct operations, and even support IT
- The new performance standard: Establishing principles and structures that begin with safety - and then applying them to other areas of the business
- How do you assess and measure culture?
Paul FjelstaPresident & Founder
WORKSHOP B8:30 am - 10:30 am WORKSHOP B: Asset Management Strategies: Best practices for sustained asset reliability improvement
• Applying operational excellence tools to enhance asset reliability and performance
• Addressing reliability and integrity challenges
• Why should we change?
• Asset optimization: Framework approach to establishing an asset management and reliability program
• Evaluating your ‘as-is’ baseline and setting your ‘to-be’ improvement goals
• Who should be involved
• How to do we measure improvement (Establishing KPIs)
• Gaining executive and employee support
• Managing the human side of reliability: getting employees at all levels to consistently perform monitoring, root-cause analysis, follow-through and more
10:30 am - 10:45 am Morning networking break for workshop attendees
10:45 am - 12:45 pm WORKSHOP C/D: Operational Excellence: What world class characteristics does your organisation need to sustain leading performance?
Through guided examples and by understanding real world examples, this workshop will help you:
• Access how your current management of critical data and information is impacting your ability to achieve operational excellence
• Understand how better management of change prevents operational inefficiencies and critical errors, as well as reducing the risk of failing compliance tests
• Get control of the documents that are key to your projects, including the ability to manage collaboration both inside and beyond your organization
12:45 pm - 1:15 pm Networking Luncheon for workshop attendees
WORKSHOP E1:15 pm - 3:15 pm WORKSHOP E: Delivering Knowledge to Employees, When and Where they Need It
Revealing the results of a recent benchmarking study highlights where organizations are today, what the current trends are and where industry is headed in the future, in terms of the delivery of knowledge to employees across an organization.
Methods and systems for:
• Identifying areas of high ROI
• Aligning Training, Standard Work Instructions and On the Job Support
• Building a foundation for future technology adoption will be outlined
This highly interactive workshop will include best practise from real world scenarios in the some of the world’s leading process and manufacturing companies.
WORKSHOP F1:15 pm - 3:15 pm WORKSHOP F: Cost Benchmarking: Reducing Cost and Complexity in your Operations Lee Laviolette, Managing Director,Huron Consulting Group
Much of the value created by the refining and petrochemicals industry over the past decade has been soaked up by complexity and inefficiency. Increased
regulation, inattention to costs, depletion of easy-to exploit resources and a talent shortage have dealt a fundamental blow to industry profits—a blow that is now
magnified with low oil prices.
This workshop will give you the opportunity to identify the key levers for driving out cost and complexity in your operations. Learn how you can fight back by participating in group discussions – we’ll examine 5 key levers for drive out cost and complexity in your operations now including:
1. Optimising Headcount and Talent
2. Improving Workforce Efficiency
3. Standardizing Technologies
4. Enhancing Supply Chain Collaboration
5. Optimising Maintenance
When used correctly the above levers can deliver sizable improvements to efficiency, agility and, ultimately, financial performance.
Lee LavioletteManaging Director
Huron Consulting Group
3:15 pm - 3:30 pm Networking break for workshop attendees
WORKSHOP G3:30 pm - 5:30 pm WORKSHOP G: Delivering Operational Excellence: Leveraging process and people to drive high performance Edi Gittenberger, CEO,Rider International Cason Swindle, Director, Workforce Performance Solutions,Rider International
In this fun and engaging workshop, we will dive into the big questions: How would you approach improving performance at your organization? What information would you need? What tools would help you along the way? How would you know if you had succeeded? Our interactive workshop takes you step by step through creating a program for achieving high performance. We use a systematic approach to intervention and change, taking you on a journey through the development of an Operational Excellence program which focuses on leveraging the capability of your people and the existing procedures and processes. We examine the ways in which teams and individuals can be supported during a project to work more effectively, and finally we examine the technology that’s available to help.
In this workshop, you will:
• Dig into the challenges of getting processes, policies and procedures from the desktop to the work floor.
• Engage your creative problem-solving skills to address real challenges in your organization.
• Learn how to control the process of change.
• Collaborate on challenges and solutions with other workshop attendees in groups and teams.
• Identify ways of enhancing performance and reducing risk at each stage of the project.
• Learn how to reduce operational variations across different business areas by systematically improving work control and compliance to deliver performance improvement. The course facilitator will then take you through an intervention program which examines how to link competence and work activities to achieve high performance and Operational Excellence.
Cason SwindleDirector, Workforce Performance Solutions
WORKSHOP H3:30 pm - 5:30 pm WORKSHOP H: Systematic improvement: Leveraging your Operations Management System to drive high performance
• Taking a systematic approach to improvement
• Mitigating implementation risks
• Ensuring compliance
• Building the most compelling case for deeper
• OMS commitment
• Getting leadership to focus on and support your OMS
• Removing barriers to change: Creating a sustainable operational excellence culture
• Developing a strategy to gain buy-in from your workforce
• Overcoming the change management hurdle: Cultural considerations